Sunday 30 October 2011

Halloween Outfit- Cat Ears Free Crochet Pattern

Last night we had a family halloween party and at 5pm I still had no idea what I was going to go as (fancy dress was compulsory!!)  The night before I had been busy making chocolate spiders and carving our pumpkin with Mr N, as a carved pumpkin was also on the list to take.
So last minute I decided to go as a black cat......I had the black clothes and boots and even managed one black glove and one white glove as I quite liked the idea of a white 'paw'.  Black eyeliner and mascara and by some stroke of luck managed to find some black lipstick in our fancy dress box (having had 3 years at uni and plenty of hen and stag parties we keep all the fancy dress stuff as it always seems to come in useful, whether for us or friends), for my nose and whiskers.  But what about ears?????? Well I had a look through my stash and had some black and peach wool and a black headband so set about making some and ended up with these



We were about to run out the door when I realised I was tail-less, so a quick wrap of a dressing gown cord and I was ready to go!  Not bad for a last minute outfit



As you can see Mr N had spent considerably more time on his outfit than mine!!! The children loved a stormtrooper turning up and all wanted their picture taking with him.  One little boy wanted to know why his daddy doesn't have a stormtrooper helmet and another checked that the stormtrooper wouldn't kill batman...all quite surreal!!

Anyway, for anyone needing a last minute outfit, this is how I made the cat ears:

4.5mm crochet hook (you could use a diff size hook, it will juist alter the size of finished ears)
DK Yarn, black and peach
Wool Needle
Headband

With black wool:

ch 17, turn
sc in second ch from hook and sc in each ch across, turn ch 1 (16 sc)
sc2tog, 12 sc, sc2tog, turn ch 1 (14sc)
sc across, turn ch1 (14sc)
sc2tog, 10 sc, sc2tog, turn ch 1 (12sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (12sc)
sc2tog, 8 sc, sc2tog, turn ch 1 (10sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (10sc)
sc2tog, 6sc, sc2tog, turn ch1 (8sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (8sc)
sc2tog, 4sc, sc2tog, turn ch1 (6sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (6sc)
sc2tog, 2sc, sc2tog, turn ch1 (4sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (4sc)
sc2tog x2, turn ch 1 (2sc)
sc across, turn ch1 (2sc)
sc2tog, Finish, stitch in loose thread

With peach

ch 9, turn
sc in second ch from hook, sc in each across, turn ch 1 (8sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (8sc)
sc2tog, 4sc, sc2tog, turn ch1 (6sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (6sc)
sc2tog, 2sc, sc2tog, turn ch1 (4sc)
sc across, turn ch 1 (4sc)
sc2tog x2, turn ch 1 (2sc)
sc across, turn ch1 (2sc)
sc2tog, Finish

Stitch peach triangle to black triangle, leaving a small strip of black across the bottom.
Stitch ears to headband (loop thread from back of ear, around headband and through front, continue across ear to other side, tie in loose thread)

This is the first pattern I have written up, so please let me know if you have any questions or comments or constructive criticism (be kind!)

Hope you all have a good halloween, hoping to write up my chocolate spider post later, if you need any last minute goodies pop back and have a look

4 comments:

  1. Cute!! Wish I'd had this pattern before Halloween. I'll have to bookmark it for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, let me know if you make it and how you get on x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I can see that you undoubtedly get the sense of what you are speaking about over here. Do you own a special education that is somehow connected with the subject of your blog post? Can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the very easy directions. I have just whipped up a pair of cat ears tonight as my daughter will be Catwoman for Spirit Week at school tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete